Last night
Wednesday night
Gospel meeting in Nampa, about 20 minutes away
Bob...at work since before 6 a.m. ...back at work at our computer
It would be me and the kids...alone
Grumpy, tired kids
We'd aleady had three meltdowns...and that was the older one!
Late dinner...still had to get baths.
***
Called Mom and asked a silly question.
"Do you think it's ok to just stay home tonight?" after whining about the grumpy kids,
the stay-at-home husband, driving alone on the back roads.
She laughed.
She declined to answer me with a direct answer.
Instead she said, "You know, I can't tell you what you should do. But, I can tell you that,whenever I've felt like that in the past and decided to go anyway, I always heard something I needed to hear."
So, we went, the grumpy kids and I.
We sat in the front row. The kids sat quietly and drew.
I took notes...and almost felt sorry for those that were there because it seemed as if
Chris and Jay were speaking only to me. Would there be anything for anyone else?
Yep, another silly question.
So glad we went.
***
So, here's my question for the day. But I don't think it's a silly one.
Are mothers just born smart?
Is it a gift that they receive at a certain point in life?
Will I receive the same gift someday?
Will my kids look back and appreciate the times I told them no?
Will they appreciate the times I let them figure it out on their own?
I hope so!
***
Thanks, Mom.

5 comments:
It's always amazing how our enemy wants us to stay away from something he knows we need.
I think you already have that mama smartness in you...
Thanks for sharing that Katie. My mom would have said the exact same thing. I understand. It is really a struggle to get there sometimes when the spouse doesn't go and you have had a day like you explained. I am so thankful that God knows and understands and when we make the effort he will speak and to us and streghthen us.
Loved this post...I know it's true for me too...it's when I feel the least like going is when I get the most fed. (make sence??) Yeah, Moms are pretty special aren't they...hope I get more of that "Mom wisedom" some day too.
Katie,
I know my momma has that "smart" gift and I wanna know when I get mine, because right now, we're struggling with a very unruly 10 year old who, thru no fault of her own, is going through some changes that neither she or I are prepared for and I just call my mom and she always puts it in perspective somehow. Apparently, you get that when you get grandkids...??? Just a guess. Thanks for an insightful post.
God works through the thorns to plant the seeds that bring the harvest. Great post KT. The enemy surely does prowl around looking to devour us and knows when we are weak. It reminds me that I am very low in many areas and need to let Him carry me through those thorns.
Post a Comment