Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dear Ryan

Dear Ryan,
I simply cannot believe that you are ten years old today!
I think back on this day in 2000...I woke up to terrible back labor at
8 a.m. that lasted until the second epidural kicked in at around 4 p.m.
I remember hoping that you were worth all of the pain and...you were!
~~~
It has been so worth it to watch you grow from a tiny little 6 lb 10 oz serious
little newborn, to a chubby, laughing six month old, to a little one walking around at ten months, to a toddler who was so much fun to be with, to a four-year-old big brother who
doted on his little baby sister, to a five year old kindergartener who loved school, and then on through six, seven, eight, nine and now ten!
~~~
At ten, you love to read, often reading for an hour or two at a time. You've read just about every book in the house, including your dad's. You love to race go-carts to Fast Lane. Hop got you interested in racing, and you sure took to it! You are most often second only to Hop (but you came in first on Dec 24th!). I dread the day you start learning to drive...we'll have to have a serious talk about the difference between the controlled environment at the race track and the open road. You love to play sports....football, baseball, soccer...anything that requires throwing balls and running. Since moving here, you'd discovered the local college team and have become quite the football fan. This year, you made it to two regular season games and
the bowl game. You love to play with Sandy...you often come in from playing with her and say, "I love that dog! I never want to not have her." You love playing with and terrorizing your sister. When you're nice to her, it's so very sweet. She comes to you for comfort when she gets in trouble, she asks you questions knowing you'll know the answer, she loves to wrestle with you and have sword fights. When you are not so nice to her...well, we'll work on that. You enjoy spending time with your dad at Scouts. I'm so glad that you have that to share. You are a very active, interesting, well-rounded ten-year-old.
~~~
I've seen a lot of change in you this year...you've matured into a more responsible person and have learned how to (usually) handle disappointments. You've learned to be more considerate of others around you. You've learned that our family, the house, and the dog are responsibilities that we all share.
~~~
Ryan, this morning at breakfast it came up that you'd be twenty years old
after another ten years pass...and it made my heart stop for a moment. We have less than ten years left with you here at home. And if the next ten years go as fast as the last, we'd better enjoy ever moment!
~~~
I love you and am so very thankful that our family has been
blessed with you.
~~~
Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Happy Birthday to Ryan from all of us!

Blog Archive