Thursday, July 7, 2011

At the Zoo

So last Thursday, I took my two monkeys to the zoo.
Yes, I did threaten to leave them there.  But, in the end, we all
made it home safely.

The summertime argueing and bickering from days prior must have
been in my imagination because look at those sweet, angelic faces!

Anyway, we spent a lovely four hours with some cute, scary, noisy, and very stinky animals!
The day was perfect...not too hot, a light breeze, and it was half off day!

Ah, the goats!  The sweet smell of them brought back such fond memories of my childhood.
I tried to tell the kids about how me and my brothers would get up before school, chase down the four contankerous animals, milk them and then feed the milk to the baby cows.  I tried to tell them that they are cute when they're little, but not so cute when they are big.  But, no, they didn't want to listen to stories of the "olden days."  They just thought they
were cute and wanted to feed the little monsters goats.

For both of the kids, the butterfly house was the best part of the trip.  They could have both stayed in there all day.
If you go...a tip...wear white!  Ryan had on a while shirt and the butterflies seemed to be very attracked to it.  So much so that Emma was getting quite sad/angry that none of them were landing on her.  I'm sure is had nothing to do with the fact that she's flinch everytime one got too close!

But, finally, one did!  We thought it was funny that it landed on her hat right next to the embroidered purple butterfly!



Ryan with a little friend on his sleeve.



This may be my favorite photo of me and Em.
Ryan is such a sweet boy...sometimes!  Emma loves to ride on this, and it makes me ill.  Ryan doesn't like to anymore, but he'll ride, standing next to his sister, just because she wants him to.
Then they get off and start bickering again.
Ah....siblings!


The lions were especially active.  The two females were stalking each other, wrestling, and having a good ol' time.
Then the male lumbered up to his perch, and they layed down at his feet. 

He is pretty regal looking!




Getting a misting from the elephant.  Feels so good on a warm day!

This is one of Ryan's photos...so glad for that thick glass!


After the zoo, we walked across to the rose garden.
Emma thought that this dear old lady should be sharing the apple with her.



A few flowers, and then my camera battery died.
~~~
I have to tell this story...a nice end to our little trip to the zoo. 
So, when we're at the rose garden, Emma decides she has to use the bathroom.  There's one in the park, so we walked over to it.  Ryan's waiting outside, while Em and I are inside...well...using the facilities...in stalls next to each other.  I've got my bag and jacket hanging on the back of my door, which must swing in.  I'm finished, so I flush.  Rather than going down, the water erupts into a lovely fountain.  I'm desperately trying to avoid the fountain, get my stuff off the back of the door and not drop any of it, open the door (in...towards the fountain) and get out.  Just as I'm escaping, I hear this pitiful cry start in the stall next to me.  I'm finally out, so I go to Emma's door and ask what's wrong.  She, in the most pitiful of pitiful voices, said, "Mommy!  I dropped my favorite hat in the potty!"  I pulled it out, assured her that we could wash it, and left that place!

2 comments:

Erin Gillen said...

You have such sweet kids, Katie! I love how it always looks like they actually enjoy eachother! :)

Shiloh said...

How I miss seeing your fabulous little family! I am so happy to see how much they've grown in the last few months...I love catching up through your blog!

Blog Archive